Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Purple Christmas Hope



I can't believe that it is December already. This year has simply disappeared from me.

In the spirit of Advent and the teachings of Hope, our priest was giving away small purple Alyssum for us to cultivate and place on our Christmas dinner table. If we cultivate the hope within ourselves then anything is possible. We also will keep believing in the good within each other and the good within the rest of the world. This rings so true to my families situation. After a year of full time studying my man is looking for work. As we draw nearer to the end of the year, so to is work becoming more scarce. We have got to keep the faith and believe that early next year a mechanical engineering position will come our way.


The following day, I decided that I needed to transplant this plant into something bigger so as to create the space it needs to grow. Not having any spare pots lying around the house and keeping in mind that it will land up on the Christmas table, I needed to come up with something decorative. Additionally being on a tight budget, I could not spend a cent.

In the end, I found a margarine tub, some spray paint, Christmas embellishments from my scrapping stash, glitter glue, some ribbon and newspaper. I was so pleased at how well my creations came out, that I wanted to share it with the world. Here are the steps to follow:

  1. Poke a few holes at the bottom of your tub.
  2. Spray your tub and lid (the lid will act as the catchment for the water of your plant) over a newspaper, so as to protect your working space. You need to only spray the sides of your tub. Don't spray inside as it will be a waste and on top of it you do not want your plant absorbing the chemicals from the spray paint.
  3. Leave your tub to dry. While it is drying, I covered my embellishments with glitter glue, each embellishment got a different colour and then I left these all to dry.
  4. Once they are all dry. Place some double sided tape around your tub (or you can place it on the ribbon). Wrap your ribbon around the tub.
  5. Stick your embellishments onto the ribbon.
  6. Add your soil and place your plant into the tub.
  7. Enjoy your creation and show it off to your family.

Hope you enjoy making this simple yet beautiful creation.
With Love
Ania




No comments:

Post a Comment